Thursday, March 19, 2009

Just a note


The weather is finally allowing a little outdoor time. Audron and I have been making some raised beds in the garden. We just put concrete block around four different 4' by 10' areas and filled them with rotten sawdust, humus, ash, and good woods dirt. We put a plank on the block so Mother can sit on the edge while she works the beds. She has already made one of them a strawberry bed. One will be for tomatoes, one for root veggies and one for green beans. The rest of the garden is getting a good overhaul as well. We've been to the saw mill twice for old sawdust, and are planning to go again in the morning. The ground was hard and just worn out. So, all the organic matter going in this year should bring it back up to par. We plan to plant squash, cucumbers, turnips, onions, cabbage, corn, peppers, okra, peas, radishes, and sunflowers. We put in 6 blueberry bushes this spring and plan on adding two new apple trees and two new pecan trees.

Larry and I have an appointment with the monument people next week. We are changeing the foot stone on Dad's grave to a brass plaque on marble. While we are at it, we are going to go ahead and pick out ours and get it mounted in place. Audron wants to do the same.

I have three working days left until I retire. I am so looking forward to getting my art studio finished up. We hired some house movers to move it closer to the house, so it will be more accessible. Of course we had to empty the thing first. Now I need to load up all my stuff and sell it at a flea market. We are too far out in the country to have much of a yard sale. There is a huge flea market up toward Tupelo.

I need to sell some of it on ebay. There is not a huge demand in Mississippi for snow sleds, knee boards, and computer programming books. I'm going to do a before and after series showing the old metal shed transformation. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Wow! The garden sounds great!! You need to teach me how to make MY soil better. Where did you put the raised beds?? Can't wait to see the art studio!!